Monday, August 29, 2016

The Art of Yard Sale Signage

This blog is coming to an end soon, as my eBay business does as well. The past couple months have just been treading water with eBay trying to sell as much as possible.

In three weeks I'll be having my final blowout Garage/Estate sale at the office/warehouse. Local readers please come out! I've been pulling everything out of boxes and setting it up like at an estate sale. I also made signs today.

I get pretty annoyed going yard saling and finding poor signage along the way which is why I am writing today's post. Who better to speak on the effectiveness of yard sale signs than resellers, scavengers, pickers and the like who professionally patronize these events? What do you as an eBayer look for when following a sign?

Last move I was this person, trying not to this time!


If you live in a suburban or heavily populated area, you may see many of these every weekend:



Then the same sign again, the next weekend...

and then again, the next weekend.

At some point you stop following these signs. You've been down the road of one too many non-existent yard sales to fall for this again.

So, if you're having a yard sale - let people know that it's going on, RIGHT NOW, TODAY, and that it's AWESOME.

Here's how:



YARD SALE
Saturday 4/14
8am-1pm
123 Main St.

MOVING SALE
Saturday 4/14
8am-1pm
123 Main St.
Rain or Shine

GARAGE SALE
Saturday 4/14
8am-1pm
123 Main St.
Lawn Mover, Generator, Plants

An actual date is a must. NO "Todays"
Put a beginning and end time. At 1pm I will not follow a yard sale sign but if it says "til 2" I might.
Address or clear arrows leading from the sign to your sale.
If you have room, list a few larger items you're selling.
Write it all out in a LARGE font.

Cheaper is better! A piece of cardboard with ALL the pertinent info on it is much more effective than a store bought arrow that says "Yard Sale."

What do you look for in a yard sale sign?


2 comments:

  1. Being able to read it. Many are written so small or so lightly that you can't read them. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I'm so sorry the blog is coming to an end! I've learned so much from you and it will be sad to see you go. But I'm happy for your upcoming adventures and hopefully time will fly and you'll be back before you know it.

    I usually have my yard sale route planned out but there is always time for another yard sale on the way. For me, a sign must be brief enough to read at 30-35 miles an hour. "SALE" and an arrow are enough at this point. More details (street name, time, etc.) are OK once you're close because you'll probably be driving slow once in the neighborhood (or should be!) and will have more time to read. A light or bright background helps readability.

    Of course, the funny signs will always pique my interest - our junk can be your junk; good crap around the corner; you're getting closer, keep going!, fire sale - I got fired and I'm having a sale, etc.

    Consistency helps too. I've followed wordless signs - just followed the arrows. I knew I was on the right track because all the signs were bright green with black arrows.

    Place the signs at the main intersections leading to your location. I would even do a drive by the day of to make sure the placement is right.

    See you on the 24th!

    ReplyDelete