Saturday, June 27, 2015

Weekly Update 6/27/15

I had steady but low $ sales this week. That is okay at least there were sales. This phone was my best sale.
 
Bakelite Monophone 40 - WW2 Era Shipboard Phone
Sold for a best offer of $130
 
I'd had this phone listed for a year at $300 best offer. I finally accepted $130 as I thought it was fair and I needed the money. I had another very similar phone - and I accidently sent the buyer that phone! Oops. Long story short we spoke on the phone (an eBay first for me), he ended up buying the other one too, and I shipped the correct phone too. So now he has both the phones and I have $160.
These were both found in the trash by a roommate of my husband's over ten years ago.
 
Island Teak Carving
Sold for best offer of $80
 
I've had this listed since the fall for $200. I obviously priced it too high because I was getting tons of views and watchers and nothing - I accepted this offer again, because things have been slow and I thought it was fair. I paid $10 at family thrift.
 
These two sales made up the majority of my income this week. The rest were items like this:
 
Sleeveless Hawaiian shirt sold for $9.99
paid $.80
 
In non-eBay news, yesterday we were swimming at the bay and then a man came and was crabbing from shore with raw chicken legs about 20 feet from us. (This is a extremely rude and dangerous to do on a beach where others are swimming). He'd been setting his traps for literally one minute and we called the kids out of the water sensing the danger that raw meat can cause. The man who was waist deep got out of the water and told us "Shark, there's a shark." At the exact moment the kids got out, we saw a fin and movement only a few feet off the shore, then the animal surfaced coming almost the whole way out of the water. It was a huge Manta Ray. It was about 4-5 feet and had the distinctive celphalic horns. It was really incredible, although we packed up and left because it left us all a little shaken. It very easily could have been a shark! Rays don't eat fish or chicken, so it was probably a coincidence that it was there one minute after the traps were set. (Unless a predator chased it who was frenzied from the chicken?)
 
Here is an incredible video of rays LEAPING in Mexico.
 
How was your week? Let me know in the comments.
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Well, I've posted twice now but I guess the comment form hates me, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's strange! It's set to automatically allow comments.

      Delete
  2. Good skills taking care of the phone situation!

    I have no problem with people crabbing using raw chicken but RIGHT NEXT to other people trying to swim and have a nice day at the beach - BOO - NOT RIGHT! People like that just don't have a clue. I don't even think knocking them out would help.

    Lucky you on seeing the Manta Ray - those are the moments that take your breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great sale on the phone! What a scary moment at the beach! I'm such a scaredy cat. When we go on vacation, I stay out of the water and on the beach except for a little knee deep wading here and there.

    ReplyDelete