Saturday, March 19, 2016

EVERYTHING MUST GO! Exciting News & Advice from Readers

Hi Readers! No this is not a Mattress Sale!

We will be moving back to Japan in January 2017 for my husband's job. This is exciting news for us, and we are looking forward to the adventure. Upon getting the news I had about two seconds of excitement before it hit me: "I have so much to do!" Besides the "normal" moving stuff, I have my eBay business to consider.

The lease on my eBay office is up in October 2016. Leaving me about 6 months to dissolve my eBay business.

I'm sitting here brainstorming and the overwhelm is hitting me.

Here's what I know:

I must pay rent and eBay fees every month for the next six months. So I still need to make about $850 minimum/month to tread water.

I need to stop acquiring but still sell. I like to list a little every week and find it helps with sales. How to keep sales going without listing?

I need to get rid of all of my inventory by October.

What I'd like help figuring out:

What's best way to liquidate my inventory with still making money?

When should I turn "off" my store, and have a giant estate sale?

Keep in mind I have about 1060 items in my store right now ranging from small flatware to some largish furniture.

How to do it all without losing my mind?

Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated!!!



8 comments:

  1. Holy wasabi! How exciting for you!!! I have truly enjoyed reading your blog over the past couple of years (years?! has it been that long?!) and we happen to live in the same city! Well, we really have to meet for coffee now before you leave!

    Lucky you - you'll get to go shelling in Japan!

    Sorry I can't provide eBay advice. I'm still hoarding!

    Have you tried OfferUp for your furniture? I would save that for last but it's an option.

    October will be here before you know it though. But I'm sure you will figure it out. Maybe you can sell the whole business to one person. Wouldn't that make it super easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to sell a few things here or there in Japan so if I do I will post about it for sure.

      I'll let you know when the sale is and you can come get something for your collections:)

      Delete
    2. Absolutely chica! I'll bring the coffee to you!

      Delete
  2. Whoa! What an exciting opportunity for your household! We did something similar (although we stayed in the US) this year for better half's job, too.

    I would print a paper calendar from now until your moving date and start marking it up. Since you have the imposed end of the lease, I would schedule your big sale in mid October. That gives you some clean up and loose end time for the last of the lease and avoids Halloween. Would it be feasible to have the sale in the parking lot at the office if you got property owner permission? When the sale is over, you could put up a CL post to include a bulk purchase of anything that's left and any fixtures/office items you aren't going to move. Save a little back for donation to get a tax deduction. :)

    My one suggestion is to not plan anything in the last month. Those days will fill up and fly by so quickly, you won't even notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I plan on having the sale in my office and spilling out into the parking lot. That will make it easier for sure.
      I like the idea of the CL post when its over, depending what's left maybe "free" to whoever hauls it, (hopefully most everything is gone).

      Thanks for the tips!

      Delete
  3. Great advice from Shannon. I don't have any good advice but just wanted to say how exciting that sounds. I hope you talk about it more in your blog. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since you don't want to list any new merchandise. Would it help to once in a while end your listings and then sell similar? Would that work in spurring some sales? Basically the same as new listings, no?

    ReplyDelete