Sunday, November 16, 2014

Sum it Up Sunday 11/16/14 Curtis Stone, eBay Love, and My Husband the Scavenger

Happy Sunday. It was a fairly slow week on the eBay front. I made just over $400. I'm not sure what accounted for the slowness.. maybe the midweek holiday? It's fairly disappointing but I can manage the ebb and flow that seems to characterize eBay. I did a TON of listing though. I listed maybe 40 new items.

My best sale of the week was this Noah's Ark Fisher Price Little People set:
Sold $45 in one day. Paid $5 at a yard sale

Two NOS packs of spun glass "Angel Hair"
Sold $18.50 Paid $.75 each at Thrift Store City on E. Little Creek in Norfolk

Six vintage Pyrex "Drink Ups" Avacado green
Sold $21 Paid $1.80 at an estate sale, I still have 4 left

All the money I'm making right now is going towards overhead and new inventory. I'm putting everything back into the business and not taking any cut until I have my listings to a number I feel comfortable at. Right now I'm not sure what that number is.. maybe 750. With getting the office, supplies, mileage, and COGS, I'm pretty much back at zero for the year. My first sale was in February and so I've been really only selling for 10 months, and seriously for less than 8. In that time I've learned so much, and am learning more everyday. I feel like I've worked out most the kinks and feel confident that I can start making real money once I up my inventory. I buy fewer "duds" these days, and have a much better eye for what is actually trash and what is someone else's treasure. It's as though all my eBaying up to this point was like my education and now I'm ready to hang with the big boys.

I'll continue to keep track of my numbers on the blog so I can be honest with myself about what I am making. I want my business to get to the point that I am contributing the equivalent of a starting salary to my family. In the past 8 months eBay has really improved my confidence and helped me with my anxiety (Here's an amazing blog For Mom's With Depression and Anxiety). On top of everything, I really love the thrill of the hunt. In short: eBay is awesome.

My husband was a huge help this week and set up my shipping station for me. He put up shelves and hooks for me. He made the table with a table top he scavenged from the trash next to a dumpster. He also scavenged the hooks and shelving brackets from a trash pile in our neighborhood. 

While setting up my office I've thought a lot about people who open businesses and buy all new stuff and then start off thousands of dollars in debt. I heard an interview with Curtis Stone (on one of my favorite podcasts KCRW's Good Food) where is talks about his restaurant in LA, Maude. The food there is served on vintage dinnerware. On top of it being totally en vogue of him, it's really cool that he is reusing and recycling. 

Noah's Ark getting ready to be packed

I have a shelf behind it with poly mailers, padded flat rate envelopes, and more. I will take you on a tour of the office soon! 

I hope that you had a great week. I'd love to hear from you in the comments. 




10 comments:

  1. Your shipping station looks great! My week was slow too, but things have really picked up this weekend. I'm hoping that it's a sign that we're finally turning the 4th quarter corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I noticed that too I had quite a few sales Saturday

      Delete
  2. I love that your shipping station was made from scavenged materials. I also have depression and anxiety and I feel like this job is so much better suited to me than regular jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks he did a great job. And yes I completely agree..

      Delete
  3. You truly are on the fast track! I can't believe it's been several months since I found your blog and started reading about your ebay adventure. LOVE the shipping station. It doesn't take more room than it has too (more room for inventory!) and everything is right there at your fingertips. Shipping will be a pleasure vs a chore. I am literally running all over the house when I prepare to ship an occasional sale. I have everything - I'm just not organized. I can be - I just HAVE TOO MUCH CRAP. I'm going to reign in the sourcing to maybe once a week and start concentrating on what I've got. (I say that but who am I kidding!!!) Anyhoo - you are doing a great job. And what a fun job - no office politics, no teleconferences, no dress code, no scheduling conflicts, and you can tell the boss what to do hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the day I took this photo Wad the first time I'd used the station. I was smiling while packing! Haha. You'll have to come check it out soon!

      Delete
  4. Wow, your new office space is going to be amazing. I love how organized your mailing station is. It's the dream of every eBay seller to move the business OUT of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please share how he did the bubble wrap thing. I think I can convince my hubby do something similar (mine is sitting in the middle of my floor :D )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace he said the hook the bubble wrap is on is an old hanging plant hook screwed into the wall.

      Delete