Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Vision & Weekly Update

It's been an off week for me. Last Wednesday I had cataract surgery on my left eye. They were congenital cataracts that were finally becoming a problem. Everything went well, now it's super annoying having totally lopsided vision. I can't wait til the next eye is done (next week).



I am really motivated to list now though because the surgery meant a pretty hefty bill. There really was no alternative though (well, going blind) . So my goal is to pay off the surgery as quickly as possible using eBay profit.

I went to the most insane Estate Sale I've ever been too last weekend. The lady who's home it was had recently passed away. She lived in a 3,500 sq ft house by herself, and it was packed to the brim with home shopping network goods. The woman who ran the sale said the woman was a "wealthy and compulsive shopper."

I bought two of these Joan Rivers fill in hair powders for $2 each.
One sold in couple days for $25
I sold some Joan rivers nail polish awhile ago, so I look out for this Home Shopping brand now.
 
I also bought this TOVA Beverly Hills fragrance for $6
a little pricey but I had sold one quickly awhile back, so I risked it.
(This is a QVC brand)
Sold for $29.99
 
So you can see I'm branching out my health and beauty category.
Other sellers talk about how well fragrance sells. I'm particularly sensitive to smells and so have avoided it until recently. But I've bought three fragrances and sold all three so I will continue to pick them up now if they're not overwhelmingly stinky.
 
This set of 4 bamboo chargers which you may remember I found in the trash sold for $26
 
How has your week been?
 
 
 


8 comments:

  1. Nice sales - way to go on those chargers! I'm sorry to hear about the cataracts. I had one in my eye a few years ago and I just couldn't believe it. I thought they weren't support to come along until we were way older.

    Can you believe how MANY freaking yard & estate sales & community yard sales there were this past weekend? I just could not even believe it. I started at 7:00 and didn't get home until 5:30 when I ran out of cash. It was the most fun and pleasant day of buying. And I'm not sure why I do it because I haven't listed anything for a couple of months. I spent about $150 and the return if I ever list, will be about $1,000.

    My fun finds: Pyrex Forest Fancies Mushroom Cinderella Bowl Set for $10, two Pyrex fridgies for .50, three Miche shells $1 ea, pottery barn vase and pillow cover, $1 ea, iron ice cream parlor chair $10, candle blow molds, $1 ea. I also got 50 cigar boxes for $10. I put some in my booth (@ $6 each) on Sunday and one lady bought two, which paid for all of them. I got about 40 more smalls and put some in my booth.

    I think one of my biggest fears is listing something and not being able to find it when it sells!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, the nurses were teasing me that they're not used to people my age in there! They said only once a year or so do they see it...

      Yea there were so many sales I was overwhelmed and actually only went to the one, and went to the beach instead. Sounds like you had some great finds though.

      I'm going to work on inventory soon because I'm starting to have a harder and harder time remember where things are now that my inventory is over 700.

      Delete
  2. Great sale on the found chargers. Are you keeping separate track of sales of 'free' stuff? It would be interesting to hear in a few months how much you have made off of the garbage people throw out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loosely keeping track, and will post here as much as possible.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about the cataracts. Do you normally wear glasses? The reason I ask is that my sister-in-law has had to wear glasses from the time she was in 2nd grade. She measured legally blind in one of her eyes. However, last year she was diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes. They did a new type of surgery to treat the cataracts where she actually got new lenses. For the first time in over 30 years, she doesn't have to wear glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes I've been in glasses a very long time. They did remove my lens and put in a synthetic one, and I will not need glasses after my second surgery. It's so amazing what they can do!

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about your cataracts. I wish you a fast and speedy recovery

    ReplyDelete