Wednesday, August 27, 2014

WTEW!?! and 10,000 *Update*

My blog is a few months old now, it it hit 10,000 views earlier this week! Thank you to those of you who read my blog. I hope that it is helpful and entertaining. Thank you for your comments, and for your views!

What the eBay?!? Wednesday

Did you know that Dollar Tree stores started right here in Norfolk, Virginia? Check out their history here. I'd love to hear how common Dollar Tree is where you live, but here in it's home state there is one on every block it seems. I'm aware of Dollar Tree brands and its always surprises me to see them listed on eBay. 

Dollar Tree does sell some surplus from closeouts, so every once in awhile you can find $8 sunscreen for a dollar, but much of what they sell is manufactured for them. If you see "Manufactured for Greenbrier International" it is made specifically for Dollar Tree. Dollar Tree is an "everything's $1" store. 

One of the most popular Dollar Tree brands I see on eBay is "Royal Norfolk" a housewares (plates, mugs, knives) brand.

Check out these SOLD listings for Royal Norfolk by Greenbrier International..








What do you think? Were these people ROYALLY ripped off? Or does demand set the price here? Have you knowingly sold Dollar Tree or Dollar Store brands and made a decent profit? I'd love to hear about it!

After I posted this morning I went thrifting and low and behold what did I find? Some lime green Royal Norfolk bowls for $1.98 each! 

11 comments:

  1. Does Royal Norfolk sell for a dollar a piece? We have some stores in Wisconsin I think Family Dollar..where the items are cheap but not a dollar. Then there are the every things a dollar stores. I don't know if we have Dollar Tree. I'll have to pay more attention. Those are great prices on those items though. Maybe they are patterns that aren't sold anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dollar Tree is an "everything is $1" place.. so all the merchandise above was sold originally for $1

      Delete
  2. Dollar Tree is fairly common in PA (where I live now) and MA (where I grew up). I remember them since I was a small child (I'm 27). I know people will pay a premium for Dollar Tree's pregnancy tests as they are supposedly "fantastic" but I was never able to get one to come up positive (actually just for giggles I took 1 with my son when I was 5 or 6 months pregnant and it just *barely* came up positive LOL). I rarely see surplus. I'm not sure if people don't know or don't care. That teacher mug similar ones could probably be bought at Walmart for less than $5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is what I was wondering to.. don't know/don't care?

      Delete
  3. Those listings are eye opening! I know the Dollar Tree brands - Royal Norfolk and Greenbrier International. When I pick them up and see the brands at the thrifts, I can't put them back on the shelf fast enough! It's totally psychological because a few of their designs are cute and if they had any other label, I would probably buy.

    Ethically, I couldn't sell the Dollar Tree brands for more than a dollar. I think I would be royally pissed if I didn't know and found out later that I overpaid for something that was available at the Dollar Tree. BUT I would resell some of their closeout merchandise. Every once in a great while I've seen surprising name brands there (Hallmark, Disney).

    And congrats on the 10K views! I think that is fabulous for a blog that is only a few months old! (Although I may account for 1,000 of those views LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My comments above are about not reselling Dollar Tree brands. I DO buy lots of Dollar Tree for myself - Jelly Bellies, gift bags, etc. And one of my absolute favorite personal mugs is from Dollar Tree. It's a plain mug with a swipe of blue near the rim. But the shape is so comfy to hold that perfect big ole cup of coffee.

      Delete
    2. I buy dollar tree stuff for myself all the time. Gift bags are the best! you can usually get two for a dollar, which is sooo much cheaper than anywhere else which I've seen like $5 for one bag!

      I'm the same way I always put Royal Norfolk back on the shelf. Mostly because like the photo above, thrift stores are trying to resell it for $1.98, and I would not pay that much knowing I could go down the block and and buy it for $1 at DT.

      And thanks for your readership!

      Delete
  4. I've had good luck bundling and selling items from dollar stores for the holidays. I feel like when people shop online, they are partially paying for the convenience of not having to go out and search and shop for what they're looking for in brick and mortar stores. I have no problem making a nice large profit on items purchased at a dollar store or almost anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a neat idea - do you bundle like a mug and tea towels and tea? Something like that?

      And yes, online shopping really is about convenience I completely agree, and so there is a premium for that.

      Delete
    2. Yes, there are lots of bundling opportunities at the thrift store- kitchen items, bath and body, toys, etc.

      Delete
  5. DT is known to assign different brands to the different products and I did sell some of them on eBay. The $$ is peanuts but it does sell. A couple of Royal Norfolk decor plates, too.

    ReplyDelete